Storms can cause extensive damages that cause a lot of money to repair. One of the things you need to repair is your roof, which does have some heavy expenses depending on the damage it got. Here are tips on roof repair after undergoing storm damage.
How to Check Your Roof For Damage:
- Check Your Roof After the Storm: After the storm, check if your roof has been damaged. If it has, then it’s time to check how badly damaged it is. This will also help you decide the best way to fix your roof.
- Look Into Your Gutters: Sometimes strong storms also bring strong winds, take a look at your gutter and see if it needs to be repaired. Sometimes, the gutters take the most water damage after storms.
- Evaluate Your Indoor Settings: This is to check if your ceilings or attics have leaks or mildew. One way to identify a leak is if there is a rusty brown colored shape on your ceiling. Another sign is if you see bubbles or peeled paint on your wall.
- Check for Hail Damage: Hail causes enough damage that would cost you up to billions. You can identify hail damage to concrete and asphalt by looking for dark marks that look like bruises, and for wood shingles, it would be dents and breaks; often with orange interiors.
- Call a Professional: Roof repair is no easy feat, especially if you have no experience in the field. Calling a professional is the easiest way to get it done without wasting time and materials.
- Check if Roof Damage is Covered By Insurance: If your roof damage is covered by insurance, then you won’t have to worry much about the cost. Of course, you will have to check if your insurance company has specified a certain company for roof repair. If not, then you have the liberty of choosing who will provide services for your roof.
- Reinforce the Roof With Storm-proof materials: One way to make it easier for you to avoid roof damage is by using storm-proof materials. It may cost a little more, but you can be sure that it will be sturdier and much more resistant to storms.
- Check for Wind Damage: Leaks and mildew aren’t the only things you have to worry about. Check for any curled or missing shingle roofs. When you have to wind damage, then you do have to check for any water damage. Any blown away roofs can and will expose your house to the elements which will cause water damage if it goes untreated.
Reporting Roof Damages to Your Insurance Company:
- Document the damage: This is your proof that you need repairs. Document all the damage, to make sure that you are able to compute what you need for your insurance company.
- Cover up any damaged windows: This is to prevent any accidents that may occur. Especially if you have kids, you’ll want to board them up until they get repaired.
- Submit Your Insurance Claim: Submitting your claim can help you get all the repairs done, but you have to follow the specifications provided by your insurance company.
Storms cause damage, which is why we have provided some tips for roof repair after undergoing storm damage.